The first recipe for today is vallarai salad followed by vallarai chutney. Vallarai/ Gotukola (Centella Asiatica) is a herb used in Ayurvedic medicine, traditional Chinese as well as African medicine. It is said to improve memory and some believe youthfulness.
(a) Vallarai salad
Time taken: 10 mins
Serves 3 or 4
- Vallarai bunch – 2 cups, when finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium or grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Chilli – 1
- Onion – ½
- Pepper and Salt, to taste
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp, adjust as preferred
- Wash the bunch of vallarai leaves thoroughly and then finely chop them up and put them in a large salad mixing bowl.
- Chop up the tomato, chilli and onion and add to the bowl. For those who don’t like tomatoes, substitute with freshly scraped coconut.
- Sprinkle some pepper and salt, to taste and add the lime juice.
- Toss well and serve immediately.
(b) Vallarai chutney
Time taken: 5 mins
- Vallarai – 2 cups, finely chopped
- Freshly scraped coconut – ½ cup
- Onion – ½ chopped
- Green chillies – 2
- Lime juice, to taste
- Blend the 2 cups of finely chopped vallarai with ½ cup of freshly scraped coconut, ½ onion and 2 chillies.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice over the chutney and mix before serving immediately.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.