This is one of the ways my mother cooks jackfruit seeds.
It is difficult to cut up fresh, ripe jackfruit. When you keep it for 2 to 3 days, it becomes easier to chop and peel the outer layers and remove the fruit. As you pull out each of the sweet and ripe yellow fruit, cut a slit and remove the seed inside and collect in a separate bowl.
Time taken: 20 – 30 mins
- Palakkotai (Jackfruit seeds) – 1 cup
- Coconut milk – 2 ½ cups (thin consistency)
- Onion – ½ chopped
- Curry leaves
- Curry powder – 1 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Wash and clean the jackfruit seeds.
- Put the cleaned jackfruit seeds in a pan and add 2 ½ cups of thin coconut milk. Also add the chopped onion, curry leaves and the curry powder and salt.
- Cook for about 20 minutes until the curry thickens and the seeds are cooked and soft enough.
- Serve with rice or pittu.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.