Roti has always been a favourite of mine. What is even better is that it is amongst the few food that seems to have been and continue to be comfort food across different generations in my family.
Today, I will share the recipe for my mother’s veggie roti.
Time taken: 35 mins
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Scraped coconut – ¼ cup
- Chillies – 2
- Onion – ½
- Beans – 4
- Carrot – ½
- Water, as required
- Low fat oil (sunflower or canola), as required
- Finely chop the carrot, beans, onion and chillies.
- In a bowl, add the wheat flour, freshly scraped coconut and mix in the finely chopped vegetables.
- Add some salt, to taste.
- Stir in some water slowly and make the mixture into a ball of dough that should not stick to your fingers.
- Pour in a little oil and divide the dough into 4 balls and keep aside for 10 – 15 mins.
- Roll out each of the four balls and cook them on a flat pan or griddle on low heat. Flip the roti to the other side after a few minutes so that both sides are cooked and slightly browned.
- Serve with soyameat curry or sambal.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.