This is another of my grandmother’s seafood recipes, as remembered by my mother.
Squid curry/ Kanavai curry
Cooking time: 35 – 40 mins
Serves 4 or 5
- Squid/ Kanavai – 2 cups, well cleaned and chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Onion – 1, finely chopped
- Ginger – ½“, finely chopped
- Garlic – 1, finely chopped
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 1 ½ cup thin coconut milk + ½ cup thick coconut milk
- Curry powder – 2 tbsp
- Special curry powder for meat dishes – 2 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, as required
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the finely chopped onion, ginger, garlic and curry leaves with the fenugreek seeds till the aroma emanates. Take care that it does not burn.
- Add another tbsp of oil and the cleaned and chopped squid. Mix well and cook on low heat for about 5 – 10 mins.
- Add 1 ½ cup of coconut milk to the pan, together with 2 tbsp of and salt. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Now, add the ½ cup of thick coconut milk and 2 tsp of the special curry powder for meat dishes and increase the heat. Cook the curry till it combines and comes together and the liquid begins to dry up.
- Remove from heat and add the lime juice and mix well.
- Serve with rice or pittu.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.