My mother remembers having this prawn snack from her childhood days and even better, the way her mother used to make it.
Prawn Vadai/ Raal Vadai
Time taken: 40 mins + Soaking time – 3 or 4 hours
Makes 10 prawn vadai
- Prawns/ Raal – 10
- Urad dal/ Ulunthu – 1 cup
- Chillies – 3 or chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Fennel seeds and Salt, to taste
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Clean the urad dal and let it soak in a bowl of water for 3 – 4 hours, or overnight.
- Clean the prawns. Rub some salt over them and boil the prawns in some water for about 10 mins.
- Drain the urad dal and grind it together with the chopped chillies and onion till the batter is just right for vadai. Add some fennel seeds and salt, to taste and mix well.
- Dab some oil on one of your palms.
- Take a small ball of batter and flatten it slightly on your palm.
- Place one of the cooked prawns in the middle of the batter and close it up, forming a ball again.
- Flatten the ball of batter again, into the shape of a vadai and make a small hole in the middle, like a mini-doughnut.
- Deep fry the prawn vadai.
- Serve with some hot tea.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.