In addition to the regular all-purpose curry powder, this special blend curry powder is used for meat based dishes. At local grocery stores around Sri Lanka, one can buy little packets of ‘iraitchi sarakku’/ dried spices for meat curries.
This curry powder is used for chicken and other meat dishes as well as crabmeat and squid dishes.
- Fennel seeds – ½ cup
- Cinnamon – 1 inch and thick
- Cloves – 8 to 10
- Cardamom – 6 to 8
- Dried sathikkai/ nutmeg – 1
- Dried kungumapoo/ dried saffron flower – 1 or 2
- Dry roast the ingredients lightly and then, grind the roasted ingredients into powder.
- Store the curry powder in an airtight container.
- This quantity of curry powder can be used for about 10 meat-based curries.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.