This is one of my mother’s favourite recipes as she really likes okra.
Time taken: 10 – 15 mins
- Okra – 200g, whole
- Onion – 1, small and chopped
- Red chilli – 1, chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Fennel seeds – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Boil some water. When the water comes to a boil, drop the okra prior to chopping, in the boiling water and take them out after a minute and immerse them in a bowl of ice-cold water. This reduces the sliminess of the okra and retains the colour.
- Chop the blanched okra into ½ or 1 inch pieces.
- Marinate the okra pieces by adding some turmeric, salt and pepper. Mix and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Fry the chopped onion, red chilli, curry leaves with the fennel seeds for a few minutes.
- Add the marinated pieces of okra and combine well. Cover the pan and allow the okra to cook for about 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice.
Source: Raji Thillainathan.