This is my mother’s recipe for cooking Mysore dal, a curry that is a regular at home.
Mysore dal curry
Time taken: 15 – 20 mins
- Mysore dal – 1 cup
- Green chilli – 1
- Onion – ¼
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Rampe leaf/ pandan
- Non-fat milk (for lacto vegetarians and better for those having cholesterol issues) or Coconut milk (for vegans) – ½ cup
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Crushed chilli – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 1, crushed
- Pepper – ½ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Wash and clean the dal.
- Cook the cleaned dal in 1 ½ cups of water, together with the chopped green chilli, onion, curry leaves and rampe.
- Once the dal is cooked and the water dries up, add ½ cup of non-fat milk or coconut milk along with the crushed garlic, chilli flakes, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt to taste.
- Let the dal cook for another few minutes till the ingredients combine.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.