As part of the Eid special series,
(e) Wattalapam jelly pudding
Originally from the Sri Lankan Malay cuisine, wattalapam has become a dessert that is made by all communities in Sri Lanka. This recipe of my mother is an adaptation of the traditional wattalapam into a jelly pudding.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup (this can be obtained by blending ¼ cup freshly scraped coconut with 1 cup of water)
- Egg – 1 (can use 2 tbsp corn flour as a substitute)
- Jaggery – ½ to 1 cup, depending on taste
- Cardamom – 3 or 4, crushed
- Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
- Agar agar – 2 tbsp
- Hot water – 6 tbsp
- Mix the coconut milk and jaggery.
- Lightly whisk the egg before adding the jaggery-milk mixture. Blend the mixture well.
- Add the crushed cardamom and vanilla extract to the mixture.
- Cook the pudding mixture on low heat, stirring continuously, for about 10 mins.
- Remove the thickened mixture from the heat and keep aside to cool.
- Take 2 tsp agar agar powder and mix with 6 tbsp hot water.
- Beat the agar agar mix into the slightly cooled pudding mixture.
- Cool and refrigerate.
Recipe Source: Raji Thillainathan.