This is my mother’s recipe and this is the way she makes drumstick curry often at home. It is delicious.
Cooking time: 25 – 30 mins
Serves 4 – 5 persons
- Drumsticks – 2
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
- Onion – ½
- Curry leaves – 2 sprig
- Curry powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Tamarind extract – ½ cup
- Non-fat milk or coconut milk (for vegans) – 1 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Cut the drumsticks into 2 inch pieces and clean by scraping lightly the skin.
- Deep fry drumstick pieces, till they are lightly browned.
- In a pan, heat a little oil and sauté the fenugreek seeds, onions and curry leaves.
- Add the fried drumstick pieces and mix well.
- Add the tamarind extract, non-fat milk or coconut milk and water, along with the curry powder and salt, to the pan.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for around 15 mins.
- Taste for salt and then increase heat and cook further for about 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and serve with hot rice or stringhoppers.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.