The first day of July in the Tamil calendar is called ‘Aadi’. It roughly corresponds to July 15 on the global calendar.
On this day called ‘Aadi pirappu’ or the birth of the month of Aadi, my mother makes a special dish usually for breakfast called the ‘Aadi Kool’.
Here’s my mother’s recipe for Aadi Kool:
Time taken: 45 minutes
Serves: 5 – 6
- Dry roasted rice flour – 1 cup
- Dry roasted green gram – ½ cup
- Jaggery or brown sugar – ½ cup (can be adjusted as per your taste)
- Chips of coconut – ½ cup
- Coconut milk – 1 ½ cup
- Boil the green gram, which has been previously dry roasted, in one litre of water in a pot.
- Midway during the boiling, add the coconut chips (not grated but little pieces chipped off from a fresh coconut).
- Take 2 or 3 tbsp of the roasted rice flour and add a little hot water to make a paste. Make tiny balls from this rice flour mixture and add it to the boiling pot.
- After a few minutes of boiling, add the rest of the cup of rice flour into the boiling pot, slowly stirring it in.
- When the mixture starts boiling, add the coconut milk and the grated jaggery and leave it to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat and serve the Kool in little bowls.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.