The curry powder is a key ingredient of curries in Sri Lanka, similar to the sambhar powder, garam masala, dhansak masala etc. in India. Each home usually has their own version of what works for them.
So the very first recipe for this blog is my mother’s curry powder blend.
Amma’s special blend curry powder:
- Dried red chillies – 100g
- Coriander seeds(Kothumalli) – 100g
- Cumin Seeds (Sinna seeraham/ Suduru) – 50g
- Fennel seeds (Perunjhseeraham/ Maduru) – 50g
- Fenugreek seeds (Venthayam) – 25g
- Pepper – 10g
- Curry leaves – ½ cup
- Turmeric – 1 piece or 1 tsp (if powder is used)
- Cinnamon – 2” piece
- Cardamom – 4 or 5
- Cloves – 4 or 5
- Chop up the dried red chillies and dry roast them. Keep aside.
- Dry roast the curry leaves separately and keep aside.
- Dry roast the balance ingredients together.
- Combine all and grind them together to make the curry powder mix. Store in an airtight container to use when needed.
- The ingredients can be scaled up for the desired quantity.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.