The second chutney recipe for today is ambarella (spondias dulcis) chutney. Ambarella is said to be good for people with diabetes.
Time taken: 15 – 20 mins
- Ambarella – 3
- Cinnamon – 1” piece
- Crushed chillies – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt, to taste
- Peel the three ambarellas. Chop up the ambarella into 5 or 6 pieces each and put them in a pan. The middle portion is difficult to remove or chop up so it can be left as it is and included in the pan.
- Add 1 cup of water or just enough to cover the ambarella pieces.
- Add a piece of cinnamon and some salt, to taste, to the pan. Cover and cook for about 10 mins.
- If the water has completely dried up, add ½ cup of water.
- Add 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp crushed chillies to the pan.
- Increase heat and cook for some minutes till the chutney comes together and it is no longer watery but rather a thick sauce-like consistency.
- Remove from heat and transfer to serving bowl.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.