The second recipe I would like to share today is my mother’s murungai ilai recipe. Rich in iron and calcium, murungai (moringa oleifera) is very much part of Jaffna cuisine.
Murungai ilai Varai/stir fry
Time taken: 25 – 30 mins
Serves 2 – 3 persons
- Murungai ilai/ Moringa leaves – 1 ½ cups
- Fennel seeds –1 tsp
- Green chillies – 2, chopped
- Onion – ½, chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coconut scraped – 1 tbsp
- Curry powder – 1 tsp or pepper – ½ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Sesame oil, as required
- Wash and clean the bunch of murungai ilai. Extract the leaves from the stalk.
- Drain off the water and chop the leaves finely. Sprinkle with salt and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil in a pan. Saute the chopped onion, green chillies and curry leaves with fennel seeds.
- Add the salted leaves to the pan. Increase the heat and stir fry for about 10 mins.
- Now, add the freshly scraped coconut and curry powder or pepper and mix well.
- Continue to stir fry for another 5 mins before emoving from heat.
- Serve hot with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.